Thursday, April 28, 2011

Memorable Moments: The Shadow Over Innsmouth

Memorable moments #01
H.P. Lovecraft. The Shadow Over Innsmouth.



"At length, feeling a fatigue which had nothing of drowsiness in it, I bolted the newly outfitted hall door, turned off the light, and threw myself down on the hard, uneven bed - coat, collar, shoes, and all. In the darkness every faint noise of the night seemed magnified, and a flood of doubly unpleasant thoughts swept over me. I was sorry I had put out the light, yet was too tired to rise and turn it on again. Then, after a long, dreary interval, and prefaced by a fresh creaking of stairs and corridor, there came that soft, damnably unmistakable sound which seemed like a malign fulfillment of all my apprehensions. Without the least shadow of a doubt, the lock of my door was being tried - cautiously, furtively, tentatively - with a key."
- Excerpt from H.P.Lovecraft's The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Fantastically written and truly horrifying.

6 comments:

  1. if you listen to Rudimentary Peni (punk band) Nick blinko's lyrics are directly inspired by HP Lovecraft... check it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been thinking of reading these books for a long time. Maybe during the summer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip bro, a mate told me to get this one aswell. Suppose I have to give it a go now :D
    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the best Lovecraft short stories.

    ReplyDelete